State aid rules play a critical role for sustainable RIS3 implementation. The objective of the “State aid law compliance for RIS3 implementation” tool is to provide management authorities and RIS3 partners with a better understanding of State aid regulations and definitions that affect innovation and that are relevant for RIS3 implementation (e.g. support to SMEs, clusters and research infrastructures). The tool helps users and policy makers understand the main characteristics of State aid Law for Research, Development and Innovation in their area of action. Using it, they can identify if the policy instruments included in the RIS3 policy mix/action plan are eligible for State aid. The tool also provides links to frequently asked questions, and educational and literature resources related to state aid across EU member states.
The logical steps of the application are:
Step 1. Selection of Interest Area, among the following titles:
- Checklist of considerations to make with respect to EU state aid rules when developing RIS3
- European Commission’s guidelines and regulations on State Aid
- Legal Basis
- State Aid Expenditure in member states
- Online submission of complaints about State aid control
- Information about financing opportunities through jointly managed EU funds
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers related to State Aid
- Relevant online tools
- Selected scholarly literature about State Aid (2010-onwards)
- Free Videos and MOOCs related to State Aid
Step 2. Selection of links of interest through a pool of relevant recourses. Links include online websites, applications, libraries, scientific publications and training recourses
Step 3. Relevant data collection and design of Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) State aid compliance framework (offline). Based on above recourses and, a framework on the use of State aid in support of smart specialisation can be designed.
Following the application architecture described in previous steps, the information flows within the application are given in Figure 1, below. It should be highlighted that the user is in full control of which kind of information they access and which recourses they will use. The processing of this information, in terms of state aid law compliance, lies with the responsibility of the user.
Figure 1. Overview of information flow within the State aid law compliance for RIS3 implementation tool